Thinking & Exploring
- About the Open School Doors training framework
- Getting started
- Parental engagement: what is it and why does it matter to me?
- Establishing Vision and Values: Ideas for leaders and managers
- Working effectively with newly arrived families
- Working with recommendations: Space and Places
- Working with recommendations: Literacies and Digital Literacies
- Working with recommendations: Communities and Culture
- A 15 minute fix
- Taking Stock
- Inspiring Practices
- Before you go
Parental engagement: what is it and why does it matter to me?
In this section you will be exploring the issues of parental engagement in your own context. Begin by watching this presentation from Birmingham City University on parental engagement that will introduce you to key issues and debates.
After you have listened to the introductory ‘think piece’ use the ‘Assessing partnerships’ tool to better understand how your school is currently working with parents. You can download the tool here.
- Produce an artefact that explores the dynamics/issues/challenges/anxieties etc of parental engagement with newly arrived families.
- For inspiration you can look at these previous examples produced by fellow teachers:
Share a photograph and short ‘think piece’ about your artefact.
Share your thoughts on Twitter using the hashtag #openschooldoors or on our social discussion forum.